This is the beginning of a very big commitment to your practice – both in time and money – and the following guidelines will ensure you get the most value out of your commitment:
- Be on time. Please be on your mat and ready to practice five minutes prior to class. A silent meditation will be observed for the five minutes leading up to class start.
- Attend all classes. Missing more than two hours total of class time will prevent you from graduating from the program. Pre-approved absences are allowed but missed content will have to be made up before you are permitted to graduate.
- Contribute to class discussion. Our program is based on collaborative learning and your contribution is indispensable to the program! Your unique perspective will help shape your own learning and that of your classmates. Contribute what you can and expect worthwhile contributions from your classmates.
Upon completion of this program, you will be qualified to teach general yoga classes, as certified by the Yoga Alliance. Graduation from the program will be based on the following:
- Submission of one essay on a topic of your choice.
- Submission of one book review. Select from the texts in the bibliography of the program manual.
- On-going peer evaluation (three separate occasions)
- Self-examination on a 15-minute yoga sequence (audio recording)
- Final examination on the successful delivery of a 60-minute yoga class to your YTT classmates
- Attendance and participation in all classes and discussions
Ongoing examination and assessment of your teaching skills will be part of the program. You will have many opportunities to practice teaching and individual guidance will be provided so that you are teaching with your most authentic voice. The intention is that you graduate from this program with the confidence to share what you know about yoga.
Although the 60-minute examination class will certainly be intimidating, know that the program trainers will not direct you to do your examination class until they are confident you are ready. Ongoing guidance will be provided until you are prepared to teach a 60-minute class.